[ login ] [ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Spam.. » General Discussion » "I'm Gonna DJ at the end of the world" (DJ Cowbell's music :D NB! A HELL LOT OF WORDS ;D)
"I'm Gonna DJ at the end of the world"
ImGonnaDJDate: Tuesday, 22/10/2013, 15:35:48 | Message # 1
User

Awards: 7
So... yeah...
Quite a lot of poepl (and people) have asked me if I'm an actual DJ. Have to disappoint you - no. BUT! I am a musician, so... that's not wide off the mark, is it!? I've had quite a few internet nicknames over the dozen of years (moom, moom19, The Moonchild or just Moonchild, my own name). But then came a wish to have the same nickname for as many logins as possible. So I figured I'd choose something from music because that's what I absolutely love doing and one of the things I'd like to be remembered by. Artist names? Nah, overused. Song titles? Depends, so let's see. Off the top of my head - Rock'n'Roll Star by Oasis, It's Only Rock'n'Roll But I Like It by The Rolling Stones, Rock'n'roll Music by  The Beatles... But while I really love - LOVE! - rock-music in general, I just wanted to... kinda... break the borders. And hey! One of my favorite songs by R.E.M. is called I'm Gonna DJ (and the lyrics for it are the title for this thread). You can DJ just about anything, it doesn't have to be dance pop music (that only depends on places where you're DJing). So... let's check if it's available and unique enough... YES! YES IT IS biggrin ! So here we go.

Like I mentioned, I really love rock-music, BUT that does not mean I love everything about it and that I don't love anything else, to at least some extent. To name just my most favorite artists:
1st place - two bands - Pink Floyd the prog-rock majesties, and Deep Purple the hard-rock machine (and Ritchie Blackmore is better than Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix biggrin )

then

Oasis - britpop stars with unseparable monobrows; more than meets the eye
The Strokes - more than meets the eye, again
Art Brut - the most witty band in the world while being also serious and backed by absolutely solid indie-rock? You betcha!
The Rolling Stones - c'mon, it's the Stones man biggrin Well, mostly their earliest stuff
Daft Punk - you wanna get me to dance? Only one way - French House! And I've always loved just about anything old-fashioned disco-based.
Jesper Kyd - the ambient king behind Hitman series

There are quite some names beyond this. I'm a fewer fan of theirs, but still... You can see all of my ratings on RateYourMusic, the best portal for building up your online music and video collection as well as discussing it.
You can sort it by release year, rating, artist/release title:
All my ratings on RYM
And this is my profile's main page, you just need to scroll down for a lot of other stuff on it and just choose :)

And now we finally get to what I do in music. As I've said I don't actually DJ, but I mainly sing and write stuff, also amateurly play guitar and keyboards. Really good at percussion, though biggrin ! I still dream of calling myself The Moonchild in the future space-rock band Astral Fire, for which I even once upon a time even designed a logo biggrin Have some crazy (and not so crazy) ideas for stage-shows, video-clips, a bit of production stuff... As for doing things to already existing tracks by other artists, I occasionally add some sound effects, segue tracks into each other and/or add an instrument or vocal track. I don't have a professional studio, so I do it at home. Or live at a rehearsal base, like me and the band Breakdown Habit once did biggrin
Am I self-taught? Yes and no. I've had a music teacher, beside school, and we became friends, but... he died of cancer sad :(((((((((( Other than that, I use Internet or just try myself.
Has my ugly face been on the telly? No. because it's not ugly biggrin But my fine-looking one has been there. How did it go? A few times I prefer forgetting about and you can only make me post them if you promise you'll not judge too hard because it wasn't always my fault, and if I post them I'll do it just for gags biggrin But some really rather fine performances exist too smile Am I a local star? Not really, but I've been recognized quite some times biggrin A diva? Nah... I only need 211 goldfish, Justin Bieber toothbrush (and it does exist!) for the whole crew except me, and the hotel room temperature has to suit my skin pores exactly. That's all XD biggrin

But really, my voice isn't always up to the job, usually when I'm going in unprepared. But again, I'd only post that for light-hearted gags wink

So we'll start off with the three live recordings with Breakdown Habit at our rehearsal base biggrin
Me holding the mic, Arno and Mihkel the guitarists, "Punku" in hoodie plays bass, and Mart drums like hell biggrin
You can quite hear why we didn't make it into a local Battle Of The Bands, but... work on it  goes on wink You can also hear us talking in our native language, Estonian (and mine is also Russian) smile

Same songs, but in a different room, filmed by my school friend, - HORRIBLE SOUND, yet funny memories biggrin The best one is, the bassist came in later, plugged his instrument in and... it didn't sound. Why? We turned the amp around, and it was just fuckin empty on the inside biggrin And at the time we called ourselves In Time, in honor of Deep Purple's Child In Time wink It was like we were always in time, no matter what age or event.

Okay, now outside the band:
I do have FruityLoops 10 Producer Edition, for my electronic music needs. Once upon a time me and my frineds from a huge Pink Floyd community, Neptune Pink Floyd, recorded our own version of a hoax PF album, Double Core. This is a sampler video, not the whole album. My three pieces are called Deep Horizon parts I, II (recorded with the help of another forum member) and III (completely my own). Originally my piece was one instrumental track called Hourglass Suite, in honor of Depeche Mope singer Dave Gahan's second solo album Hourglass, and symbolized the circle of day: night-morning-day-evening-night. smile

A'ight - more than enough for starters biggrin there's someone banging on something in a room nearby, let's go see what goes on wink

-----------------

To be the worst ET player in the world is a skill of its own.

ImGonnaDJDate: Tuesday, 22/10/2013, 15:36:39 | Message # 2
User

Ah yes, the sampler video:

-----------------

GooogleDate: Tuesday, 22/10/2013, 15:47:19 | Message # 3
User

I like break downhabbit burn the most!

and intime playing burn and love let loose is also a nice song!
it's really RocknRoll i feel like i am on a small local festival when i listen these songz, i like it!
And you sure look like a rocker! =D
Nice man!

-----------------

Hellow!

SeaturtleDate: Tuesday, 22/10/2013, 16:08:15 | Message # 4
User

Good to still see some people enjoying real music biggrin
Your tracks are nice! I've been to a Deep Purple concert like 1.5 year ago, Child in Time has been my favourite song for a while, unfortunately they dont play it live anymore sad (i also didnt hear it :()

-----------------

Words like violence, break the silence.

ImGonnaDJDate: Tuesday, 22/10/2013, 16:32:11 | Message # 5
User

Awww thanks yall biggrin

I saw DP play 10 years ago, it was my first rock-concert, supported by Uriah Heep. DP didn't play Child In Time, they had recently stopped playing it because, as Ian Gillan said, he just can't do it anymore. Oh well.

We were supposed to play at a DP tribute concert and needed a name, so Mihkel the guitarist on the right, started playing Child In Time, and it hit me - In Time! We'd always fit, always in time. Yeah smile But at the other guitarist, Arno's suggestion we changed the name.

-----------------

SeaturtleDate: Tuesday, 22/10/2013, 17:31:12 | Message # 6
User

Aaah nice!
Haha cool name though biggrin Yes, I can believe that Ian couldnt do it anymore! They also had as reason that they think their song is outdated.... Well anyways still a pity they didnt play it anymore!
Ian still has a great voice though smile But I can imagine he really cant reach the high screams anymore haha

-----------------

Words like violence, break the silence.

Message edited by Seaturtle - Tuesday, 22/10/2013, 17:31:55

ImGonnaDJDate: Tuesday, 22/10/2013, 20:58:15 | Message # 7
User

Have you heard the Ian Gillan Band version of Child In Time smile ?

-----------------

GuevaraoldDate: Wednesday, 23/10/2013, 17:16:01 | Message # 8
User

Awards: 2
Nice man wink  finally people I can properly talk with ;p. 
You're playing nice though. Really rock.
I think Led Zeppelin and ZZTop would also suit your band.

-----------------

3 Miles up, 3 Miles down!

Xfire: 123blaze123

ImGonnaDJDate: Monday, 28/10/2013, 17:06:02 | Message # 9
User

Thanks biggrin Led Zep definitely is a big inspiration.

But can you guess what band's song was our very first? Hints: British; blues-rock; trio; at least one legendary musician in it; old, now defunct, but all members are alive, I think. As for the song, it's got a color and a kind of space in its title.
Good luck wink

-----------------

Forum » Spam.. » General Discussion » "I'm Gonna DJ at the end of the world" (DJ Cowbell's music :D NB! A HELL LOT OF WORDS ;D)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: